Saturday, February 20, 2010

Flashlights and Bathroom Doors and the Christmas Spirit

This week's been rough. I'm in the process of selling my home of 18 years (you wouldn't believe the crap that entails in this economy), am having issues with my own credit score, thanks to my idiotic attempts to help my 22-year-old son, and right now, work's a real bitch. I deal with the public - bad enough - but in my case the "public" consists mainly of old, sick and/or nervous people who don't want to be in a surgeon's office to begin with. I'm not only required to have them fill out a ream of paperwork, but also to collect deductibles, co-payments and co-insurance. Amazing how many people have no clue what their insurance covers, how much they're required to pay and so on, especially at the beginning of the year, when their policies roll over. Seems like they think just because they have insurance, our services should be free. Point is, I've had clipboards, paperwork, pens, and even cash thrown at me. And through all this, I must keep a smile on my face, speak softly, maintain a professional demeanor at all times while there are four other patients waiting (usually late for their appointments, in which case I also have either a technician or a nurse looking over my shoulder and tapping their feet, as if that would speed the process up), three phone lines ringing (in that case, the schedulers are giving me dirty looks, because I don't pick up on the first ring) and if that's not enough, inevitably a doctor (for whom I WILL drop everything) will ask me to get Dr. So and So on the line for them. STAT. Sigh. I love my job. Really. And I'm damn good at it. But sometimes, sometimes, it just pisses me off that I can't defend myself when some self-righteous hypochondriac berates me because I didn't greet him with "good morning, Mr. Asswipe" instead of saying "hi, Mr. Whatcrawledupyourassandgotstucksideways, your co-pay today is $12." Excuse the hell outta me for trying to get business done.

Okay. Sorry. I kinda lost my happy place for a minute. Anyway, that was about all I could take, so as soon as I could, I left the office to compose myself. And the bathroom door opened before I even got there. Only time this week. Nobody there but yours truly. I went in, dried my eyes and concentrated on making the door open again. Stood right in front of the handicapped plate and thought at it as hard as I could. Nothing. So here's my theory...

We generate all this energy that is normally just free-floating electricity, but in certain situations, this energy becomes focused and becomes concentrated. Well, it has to go somewhere. I think there are a few people that can harness that energy consciously. Anyone who's heard about Indian yogis knows what I'm talking about. I also think that many of us use this energy subconsciously. We all know people who have "presence" or "charisma". Could it be they shine more brightly than others? We're certainly aware of attraction or revulsion to particular individuals at first sight. I can't believe it's simply due to physical aspect. How about meeting someone the first time and feeling you've known them forever? Need more to blow your mind?

The popular belief is that we use about 10 percent of our brain. The advent of fMRI proved that one completely wrong. We do use 100 percent, but we're not smart enough to know how. To wit: in oncology it's now a reluctantly accepted fact that cancer patients can speed remission using self-hypnosis and positive imagery to fight their disease. Studies have been done proving the effectiveness of prayer to achieve the same result. In the Bible it states, "that wherever two or more of you are gathered, I will be there." Is it actually that when we focus out energy, even unknowingly and calling it by other names, we combine and become more than ourselves?

And at what other time than Christmas are more people focused on one special idea? All over the planet, whether religious or not, billions of individuals concentrate on prayer, presents, family, life...spirit. Imagine billions of 10volt flashlights shining on one particular spot in the sky. I'm pretty sure we'd see that light all over the globe. Hell, it would shine to the end of the universe. So even if we're not aware of the energy we produce, if produced at the same time, perhaps we feel it. Animals, particularly domesticated ones like dogs and horses which are more attuned to human behavior than their wild cousins, would be susceptible. The possibilities are awesome and frightening in their impications.

Does your head hurt? Mine does. For whatever reason, it seems incredibly hard for us to comtemplate the power of our own minds. At least until evolution makes a giant leap once more.

Shine on, my friends.
Mu

3 comments:

  1. Woah. Cool. Huh. Digesting. Badass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, Lissa! I just got done watching a movie-documentary called "What the (BLEEP) Do We Know". Order it from Netflix - it's exactly what I'm talking about. Funny, tho - I watched it AFTER I posted...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to check it out!

    AND, Mu, I've got a couple of awards for ya over on my blog... Call me and I'll talk you through how to post them!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Followers